Friday, May 17, 2013

The Spiritual Highway

Hey Folks,
Well, here we go. Welcome to Bail-Dog's Blog.

I'll be driving my father's 1985 VW Vanagon "Westy" from Virginia back to Alaska. It's a sweet ride and I imagine it will be one heck of a trip. The main objective of this blog is to keep my friends and family up to speed on my progress during this monumental expedition. Wish me luck and keep your fingers crossed for a safe voyage.

The plane ride from Anchorage, AK to Charlottesville, VA was very long, with 2 stops and lengthy layovers in Seattle, WA and Washington, D.C. My flight left Wednesday, May 15 at 4:30 p.m. and I arrived Thursday morning at 9:30 a.m.

I've been visiting with my stepmother Debi for the last two days in Stanardsville, VA. It's been nice seeing the house where she and my dad lived and their cabin in the woods – just getting a feel for what life is like here in Virginia and catching up.

I'll be hitting the road tomorrow morning for my Uncle Dean Bean's (a.k.a. Richard, Dick, Dickie) house in Schenectady, NY. He's going to ride with me for as long as he can take it. I hope he can carry on until Seattle at least. My mother lives in Greene, NY so I'll stop by and say hello to her on the way. I tried to get her to come with me but she has too many responsibilities on the farm and can't be away for very long.

My dad, Donboy (a.k.a. Donald), passed away back in December. He died suddenly and we are all shocked and saddened by his death. He left us too soon and we miss him very much. It's been an emotional trip already and I'm sure there will be some rough spots along the way. I expect it to be a glorious adventure as well, and I am excited to hit the spiritual highway.

I'll spare you all the details of my itinerary and just fill you in as the journey unfolds. Wish me luck!

Cheers,
m@boy (a.k.a. Bail-Dog)

The work shed at the cabin.

Me and Debi.

No comments:

Post a Comment